Something yummy this manner comes! This deFRIGHTful Hocus Pocus popcorn is a straightforward and festive Halloween snack that’s as a lot enjoyable to make as it’s to eat. Salty popcorn is tossed in colourful white chocolate and affected by spooky combine-ins, making a tasty and visually spectacular deal with (no methods!). Serve it in a cauldron for a witchy centerpiece, or portion it into particular person goodie baggage to your baby’s classroom get together.
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- This is without doubt one of the finest Halloween get together or spooky film night time snacks, particularly for those who’ve received children! Not solely is it tremendous scrumptious, it’s actually enjoyable to make AND to have a look at. Seriously, I do know you’re not presupposed to play along with your meals (or no matter), however this Hocus Pocus popcorn is like snack time and humanities & crafts time all rolled in to at least one. Go wild with the combination-ins, have enjoyable with the colours, give you inventive methods to serve it. You may even use the meals coloring to show your littles in regards to the magic of shade mixing! Tasty AND academic.
- Each and every bit of popcorn is coated in a wealthy, candy, colourful white chocolate coating. You’ve most likely had popcorn drizzled with chocolate earlier than, and if that’s the case then you understand that the issue with a drizzle is how uneven it’s! Some items can have a ton of chocolate, others gained’t have a lot in any respect, and the entire underside of the popcorn goes naked. Instead of a drizzle, we toss our popcorn in melted white chocolate so each bit is absolutely coated, giving the right combo of salty and candy in each chunk.
- Room mothers and academics, get excited! White chocolate popcorn is tremendous straightforward to adapt for any potential meals allergy symptoms or dietary wants, making this a fantastic possibility for a classroom Halloween get together. Nut free, dairy free, gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, low carb, added-sugar free, all pure – Halloween popcorn can do all of it. Just beware the curse of the sugar rush… and crash.
- When it involves melting chocolate, particularly white chocolate, it’s necessary – nay, CRUCIAL – that your bowls and your spatula (or spoon) are 100% dry. Even the smallest quantity of moisture will trigger the chocolate to grab, making it clumpy and crumbly. If that occurs, don’t panic – you may add slightly extra coconut oil as wanted till the chocolate is clean once more. Just don’t overdo it, otherwise you’ll get chocolate that’s actually skinny and runny and gained’t coat the popcorn nicely.
- The key to excellent Hocus Pocus popcorn? Really nailing the precise popcorn half. You can pop your favourite microwave popcorn, or you should utilize a stovetop technique like we did right here. For the most effective stovetop popcorn, be sure you use a very good pot and resist the urge to dial up the warmth. If the oil even a lot as tiptoes close to burnt, you’ll find yourself with burnt-tasting popcorn, even when it seems to be excellent. Heat the oil by itself first, and take a look at it by dropping simply 2 or 3 kernels in. Once these pop, the oil’s sizzling sufficient so as to add the remaining.
- When you add the kernels to the oil, cowl the pot instantly and shake the entire the factor so the kernels can settle in a single even layer. That method, they’re more likely to pop evenly, since they’ll all be coated in sizzling oil. Keep shaking them till you hear them begin popping, after which shake the pot periodically after that so that you rotate any unpopped kernels all the way down to the oil.
- Covering the pot with the lid captures the warmth and focuses all of it on the kernels, however it could possibly additionally lure steam that’ll make the popcorn delicate as an alternative of crisp. You can place the lid ever-so-barely askew so the steam can seep out however the majority of the warmth stays in.
More Party-Perfect Recipes
Hey – you’ve made it this far, so now we’re principally finest pals! If you make this recipe, I’d love so that you can give it a fast evaluate & star ranking ★ beneath. Make certain you comply with me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTookay, and Facebook, too!
For the White Chocolate Coating
Suggested Mix-Ins (All Optional)
3 massive baking sheets
Large pot with lid
3 massive mixing bowls
3 medium microwave-secure bowls utterly dry, see Notes
3 silicone or rubber spatulas utterly dry, see Notes
massive bowl or plastic cauldron optionally available, for serving
mini plastic cauldrons optionally available, for serving; see Notes
Halloween-themed goodie baggage optionally available, for serving; see Notes
Cover every of three massive baking sheets with parchment paper. Set apart. Set out 3 massive bowls and put aside till popcorn is popped.
Heat 3 tablespoons coconut oil in massive pot over medium warmth, being very cautious to not burn oil. When oil is sizzling and shimmering, add 2 to three kernels to check oil. When take a look at kernels pop, add remaining ½ cup popcorn kernels and instantly cowl pot with lid. Secure lid with one hand and shake pot till kernels start to pop. Once kernels start to pop quickly, return pot to warmth.
Listen intently to popping kernels and shake pot periodically. When popping slows to roughly 3 to five seconds between pops, take away pot from warmth. If desired, sprinkle popcorn salt over popcorn in pot and toss to coat, then divide popcorn evenly amongst 3 massive bowls. Remove any unpopped kernels.
Place 2 cups white chocolate and 1 teaspoon coconut oil in every of three microwave-secure mixing bowls.
Place one bowl of white chocolate in microwave. Microwave 30 seconds, then stir with dry spatula. Repeat, microwaving in 30 second intervals and stirring after every, till white chocolate is totally melted. Note: Be cautious to not burn chocolate. If chocolate seizes, stir in coconut oil in ¼ teaspoon increments till combination is clean.
When chocolate is melted, fastidiously take away bowl from microwave. Add 2 to three drops orange (or pink and yellow) meals coloring to bowl and stir till shade is absolutely integrated. Add extra meals coloring as wanted, mixing nicely after every addition, till desired shade is achieved.
Transfer orange-coloured white chocolate to at least one massive mixing bowl with popcorn. Gently toss or stir till popcorn is absolutely coated in white chocolate.
Transfer coated popcorn to at least one baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Gently unfold popcorn out into one flat, even layer. While chocolate remains to be melty, sprinkle one third of desired combine-ins over prime of popcorn. Set baking sheet with ready orange popcorn apart.
Repeat steps 5 via 8 with second bowl of white chocolate, inexperienced (or yellow and blue) meals coloring, popcorn, and desired combine-ins. Set baking sheet with ready inexperienced popcorn apart.
Repeat steps 5 via 8 with second bowl of white chocolate, purple (or pink and blue) meals coloring, popcorn, and desired combine-ins. Set baking sheet with ready purple popcorn apart.
Leave all three colours of ready popcorn to dry 5 minutes. Once chocolate is totally dry, break every shade of popcorn into items, chunks, or clusters. Transfer popcorn to massive bowl or cauldron to serve. Alternately, divide popcorn evenly between mini plastic cauldrons or Halloween-themed deal with baggage and safe with ribbon or twist ties.
- Mini Cauldrons: If you’re making mini cauldron treats for a classroom Halloween get together or simply to function particular person parts, you’ll wish to use some type of cellophane wrap to wrap across the cauldrons so the popcorn stays recent. Use ribbon or twist ties to shut the cello wrap.
- Treat Bags: If you’re making goodie baggage for a classroom Halloween get together, be sure the baggage you employ are sealable, otherwise you’ll additionally want ribbon or twist ties to shut them!
- Bowls & Spatulas: When melting chocolate, particularly white chocolate, it’s completely essential that your bowls and spatulas (or spoons) be 100% utterly dry and moisture-free. Even the smallest quantity of moisture will make the chocolate seize and clump when it melts.
- Popcorn: We used the stovetop technique for our popcorn, however you may completely pop baggage of popcorn within the microwave as an alternative for those who choose! Make certain you employ salted, unbuttered microwave popcorn.
- Food Coloring: Feel free to make use of gel or liquid meals colours, or any meals coloring options that you just choose. Use as a lot or as little shade as wanted to get your required shades.
- Make it Vegan: Use vegan white chocolate and vegan meals coloring or a vegan meals coloring different. Make certain any combine-ins you employ are vegan, too.
- Make it Dairy Free: Use dairy-free white chocolate. Make certain any combine-ins you employ are dairy free, too.
- Make it Low Carb: Use a keto white chocolate and low-carb combine-ins.
- Make it Gluten Free: Use a chocolate that’s licensed gluten free (to keep away from cross-contamination) and ensure any combine-ins you employ are gluten free, too.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 548kcal, Carbohydrates: 58g, Protein: 6g, Fat: 34g, Saturated Fat: 21g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 19mg, Sodium: 81mg, Potassium: 276mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 53g, Vitamin A: 27IU, Vitamin C: 0.5mg, Calcium: 179mg, Iron: 0.4mg, Net Carbs: 57g
Number of whole servings proven is approximate. Actual variety of servings wunwell rely in your most popular portion sizes.
Nutritional values proven are normal pointers and replicate info for 1 serving utilizing the components listed, not together with any optionally available components. Actual macros could differ barely relying on particular manufacturers and sorts of components used.
To decide the burden of 1 serving, put together the recipe as instructed. Weigh the completed recipe, then divide the burden of the completed recipe (not together with the burden of the container the meals is in) by the specified variety of servings. Result would be the weight of 1 serving.